Sunday, December 02, 2007

Sunday Night Rant

It's bad when I can't get motivated to go skiing. Part of it is the La Nina fall - little precipitation leads to few runs being open and a high chance of running into someone who shouldn't be on the same run I'm on. Sounds like elitism, it isn't. But I digress.

A few nights ago I wrote about the Disgust-O-Meter being on zero. It's there because it's burnt out. I have enough outrage in one scan of HuffPo to write for a month, problem is I can't decide any more what outrages me more. Is it not enough for us that we accept that our Government believes it has the right to kidnap foreign citizens? That Presidential advisers lie to the point where even Fox News calls them on it? That Larry Craig's sexuality is even an issue? That Paul Wolfowitz has a job anywhere, much less one in Government?

Franklin offered us a republic, if we can keep it. On good days I imagine this is a normal part of the cycle, that things sometime have to get bad for us to try to make them good again. As we slide farther toward gilded-age society, a hyper-rich elite and a dirt poor populace, I wonder if we haven't been brainwashed into believing that's the way it should be. After all, thousands of years of human civilization have shown exactly that pattern. Didn't we rebel against this? But in that day, being a radical liberal was rather popular in the New World.

I suppose this will pass, that I will focus on some issue and begin to write again. For now, I imagine I'll keep putting these pathetic posts up for the few who read them and look to increase my indignation as the Christmas season progresses.