Friday, March 02, 2007

Completely Off Topic, Adobe Tech Support....

....sucks. Actually I'm not qualified to make that observation because they've made it impossible to contact them. The situation is as follows: A long time ago I bought a product from Syntrillium Software, Cool Edit 2000. In the interim, my computer took a digger (with help from me), causing me to completely re-install Windows XP. Since Outlook Express is an integral part of WinXP, the reinstall wiped out my saved mails and since the registration info was one, it's now electrosmog.

After resuscitating my 'puter, I wanted to re-install Cool Edit and naturally, since it's probably reached Uranus by now, I can't find the registration info. I search on Syntrillium Software and find they've been subsumed by the Adobe giant. Now the fun begins. You can't call Adobe - the number doesn't work. If you work for a living, you can't chat with Adobe since they shut down at 5:00 (isn't it always 5:00 somewhere?). You can't e-mail them because their "contact me" option leads to an endless round of faqs and self-help screens and when you finally get a link that says create a case, you can't.

All this tells me is never buy anything from Adobe. Granted they have some good stuff but if their idea of customer service is to make it impossible to obtain, Adobe is not a company to do business with. Photoshop is nice, but leave it in favor of someone who will support you when you inevitably have a problem that can't be solved with a FAQ.