Sunday, June 18, 2006

No Bounce - Continued

Greetings from Houston, Texas, home district of the model of GOP ethics Tom Delay. I'm literally in his district as I write. I'm watching my back.

Separated from my normal news outlets by a slow internet connection, I'm basing my knowledge of today's events on the Houston Chronicle, a bright-red fish wrap if there ever was one. It's Bush's adopted hometown paper and even it is highly critical of both the Shrub and his Texas Shrublet, Perry. So I open to their White House Watch section, normally a shill for the neocon policy blunder du jour and what do I find?

The main thrust of the story is how Bush originally promised full disclosure on Plamegate and now that Rove is off the hook, he's refusing to disclose, saying it's in the past.

It's called disengenuousness and it's reason fourteen why there's no bounce for the President. He's been written off by all but the faithful few.

Additional articles in the opinion page, normally where the red print of the Chronicle shines through, were on global warming (in Houston? Isn't this an oil town?) and the regressive, bait-and-switch politics of Texas taxation (where the rich get $2k back in property taxes, the poor get nothing and someone has to make up the school funding). And I ask myself, is this Houston? Is this the Chronicle? Do I see shades of blue amid the sea of red? Or more likely, do I see that even the reddest of papers in the reddest of states can see that the Right's policies have failed and their lack of leadership has driven them to political bankrupcy.

And that's why there's no bounce.