Friday, April 28, 2006

Shrubbynomics - Bush's Plan for Economic Ruin

It's the most beautiful photo I've seen in a while, Rush Limbaugh's mug shot. He's cut a deal with prosecutors over his drug abuse, a privilege apparently reserved for Wingnut commentators by Wingnut commentators. His own view is that abusers should be thrown under the jail, as long as the abusers aren't Rush Limbaugh. Want some oxycontin with that hypocrisy, Rush?

I'm forced to agree with the Shrub today. A windfall profits tax on oil companies is not the answer to high pump prices, indeed, if our experiences in the '70s with oil price controls is any indicator, the tax would drive the price higher. Again, as yesterday, I'm not defending the oil companies and I certainly don't think anyone on the planet is worth $400 million. That guy should be taxed into penury along with the board members who granted that Croessusian retirement deal but the shareholders, those who took the risk of investing in oil when it wasn't so expensive, shouldn't be penalized.

The Republicans who contributed to the mess by thinking drilling in Alaska is the only fix for energy and for refusing to support conservation measures should be the ones to suffer. With his typical myopic foresight, Bush wants environmental regulations waived so oil companies can pollute the air over our cities and build refineries without the bother of making them clean. The sadly funny part is Bush touting his economic successes, the economy grew by 4.8% in the first quarter! Shrubbynomics is working! Cut the taxes and make them poor folks support the country! My retirement funds are doing remarkably well and I'm happy for that. I put my pay raise for this year in my car's gas tank today and that's why I think the economy sucks. Everything I buy and use, heating my house, my health care is going up yet "inflation is in check." That's because food and energy, not normally considered optional purchases, are not included in inflation figures. They're too volatile, as the Shrub has learned over the past few weeks. They're the major increases in my expenditures. I can put off buying a new pair of pants, a CD, a computer but I can't put off eating and driving to work for long. Like everything else in this administration, the economic figures you see are spun, the turds are polished to a warm-brown glow, the Snow job is performed with remarkable cynicism.

Also, the current run-up in energy prices is not included in the first quarter figures. The lion's share occurred in April, already part of the second quarter. See George Spin. Spin, George, spin!

Among the other perks Republican Congressmen enjoy, add now lobbyist-furnished hookers. Just thought I'd throw that one in since Boehner says Republicans are on the job of cleaning up Congress. Cleaning out the country, I'd call it. And stay tuned for Shock and Awe, the Sequel, coming to a oil-bearing country near you, particularly if you happen to live between Iraq and Afghanistan. What a stroke of genius, George! You already have them flanked! Staying the course in Iraq cost us 69 young men and women this month for what? Why are we there? That's more than double the casualties in March.