Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Boehner of the Week

Again, this week, with rising gas prices the center of the National debate, was a target-rich environment for Boehners in the Government. Runner-up is FEMA, recommended to be disbanded after its heckuva job following Hurricane Katrina. But the Boehner of the Week has to go to Bill Frist and the Senate's plan to buy votes with a $100 dollar per taxpayer bribe, nominally to offset gas prices.

Now I took my tax rebate check. I cashed it and I've been spending my $23 per month ever since. To offer to fill the tank of every SUV once as a price reduction measure goes beyond stupid. How many potholes does the Federal government want to let go to buy a little voter sympathy in light of failed energy policy? How many miles of new road will not be built to buy the Congress out of the hole Republican leadership has led it into? How many points of the Shrub's gradually eroding popularity will two tanks of gas in my Ford Taurus, the one I can't replace because pay raises under the Shrub's most Excellent Economy haven't kept pace with prices? The Senate, with it's blatant attempt at bribery, has earned the Boehner Award for this week.

In a very ironic twist of fate, the Bush Administration is afraid to let Guantanamo Bay detainees found to be guilty of wearing a cheap watch or olive drab clothing go because, ready for this one, they may be subjected to mistreatment by their own governments. That could be a contender for Boehner of the Week next week.

At least Samuel Bodman, Secretary of Energy, is being realistic and honest (a first for a Bush staffer?) about gas prices. They're here to stay. So I suppose I'll go after that diesel this week, giving up my retirement for energy efficiency. Of course, if I continue to drive the Taurus, I'll be giving up my retirement at less than 20 MPG city. Bush has given up doing anything about it so the energy recession is on its way. Of course there's no evidence of profiteering by the Republican friends the oil businesses. Only evidence of anti-antitrust measures by allowing Exxon and Mobil to merge, by allowing Chevron and Texaco to merge and by allowing OPEC to ignore U. S. price fixing law with imputinty. Oil companies are simply making reasonable profits under the current business environment. That they bought the environment via large contributions to Republican lawmakers is not the issue, or is it?