Tuesday, January 31, 2006

State of the Union

I'm not watching the State of the Union. I have to admit, the very sight of our President is revolting to me, physically revolting. I get ill watching the smirk, listening to the lies, hearing the ignorance of a man who will not let facts sway his beliefs. I will not listen to Bush. Even the inadvertent sound bites I sometimes pick up sicken me. In this, I'm not tolerant. This is the man who has destroyed my faith in our government and I will never forgive him for that.

You know where I stand, now. Unlike many of my liberal bretheren, I'm not afraid to take a stand and to say what I feel. Bush disgusts me. Alito disgusts me. Ted Kennedy and John Kerry disgust me.

They're on our side? Guess again. When Kennedy could have been doing something, namely at the Senate hearings, he was bloviating as Alito waged a battle of wits with an unarmed man. When it's too late, Kerry and Kennedy attempt a filibuster as I feel my civil liberties slipping away. Show me the evidence, Kennedy could have asked Alito. Show me you've changed in your writings. Show me somewhere in the body of your writings that you'll act to rein in Bush's power grabs. Show me you respect the rights of individuals over the corporations and government you're beholden to. But Kennedy chose to pontificate and mumble over Alito's membership in a Princeton alumni association, as if that has anything to say about the man who could crown King George. Kerry, afraid to take any kind of stand against Bush, afraid that saying that he had convictions could have turned off voters, attempted to position himself by a futile filibuster. And we wonder why we lose elections.

The Prevaricator in Chief is, as I write, busy prevaricating. I'll hear all about it tomorrow, the first day Judge Alito is Justice Alito. I hope I'm wrong about Sam-I-Am. He's now something we have to live with. The best we can do as progressives and sensible liberals is to find unity and to take a stand. Over sixty percent of Americans agree with us if we can only find a way to communicate to them what is that we stand for. I believe that if we can leave the splinter factions of the Democratic party to fend for themselves and to reach toward working men and women, we can take back the Government. We have to. More than any other nation on Earth, we're careening toward totalitarian rule. In a sense, we already have it. The Radical Right now owns all three branches of government, at least for a year. We need to get our shit together and form an effective opposition, minimize the damage and unite to take back at least some of the power from the neocons this fall. I hope we can.

If we can just get Kerry and Kennedy to shut up and Hilary to stand for something other than pendulums and photo ops.