Monday, December 26, 2005

The Latest Devolution

The latest in the sequence of rationales for the illegal wiretapping of, now it seeems, very many Americans is quite possibly the best. Today I heard the spin cyclers and Bushit apologists taking this one out for a spin: It was wrong but it wasn't illegal. It sounds to me like a nice attempt to downplay the seriousness of a President who thinks he's so imperial he doesn't need to bother with niceties like Federal law.

Summarizing the devolution of the case for wiretapping: Bushit: I did it and I'd do it again. Bushit: It was legal, you authorized it. Bushit: We didn't have time to fill out the paperwork. Bushit: It was such a drag, all that paperwork and we're talking about 9/11, 9/11, 9/11, 9/11.... Bush apologists: It was wrong but not illegal. I can hardly wait for the next iteration.

When a Texan hears something he can't quite believe, he tends to use the same expression we all use but the "Ls" get lost in the drawl: Bushit.