Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Another New Orleans Photo Op

Today the Energy Hog debuted as the President, the First Lady, a Boeing 747 and an oft-overlooked C-17 load of communications equipment and bullet-proof SUV's once again flew to New Orleans to be seen doing something about the situation. This time it was construction of a Habitat for Humanity home and an interview with Matt Lauer of Good Morning America. Bless you, Matt, for some rather un-photo-opish questions. I love to watch the Prevaricator in Chief squirm.

What struck me most about the visuals was the fact that the President, an all-hat no-cow rancher, obviously hadn't held a hammer in his life. My dad would have called his nail-driving skills "pecking like a chicken." If I'd been working next to him, I'd have been watching my thumbs and my eyes. Still, the President driving nails.... It's not what I'm paying him for. I'm paying him for leadership. Flying two aircraft full of trucks and entourage to New Orleans to rescue his image as a "decisive leader" while asking me to conserve energy isn't leadership. Working on a Habitat for Humanity home while suspending regulations that would have provided workers on the Gulf Coast a decent wage is the height of hypocracy. Pecking ineffectively at nails while denying credit protection to the people needing it isn't my idea of leadership by example.

This is our leader, our Commander in Chief. An overpaid construction worker who doesn't know how to use a hammer. He sure does know how to use a photo op, though.